We adapted our holding fixture to take the Europa and got it bolted
I will omit the details of removing the mono wheel and associated mounting
hardware and systems as it is very straight forward and not complicated.
Next we have to remove a few items and clean out the coating that was sprayed
in the interior when the aircraft was built. The pictures are of the future main gear attach bays.
We discovered that several items were stolen from the "kit "
the owner purchased from the Europa Distributor in Florida. We postponed the main landing gear part of the modification and
went on to the finger brake mod.
Below we had to remove the mono wheel retract lever and move the center throttle
lever to the left a bit. WIll glass up the holes.
Brake masters assembled and test fitted in position.
Another step in the main gear mounting process is to apply fiberglass cloth
and epoxy resin to the bays to reinforce the area. Here we have done that step and peel ply covers the work while it cures.
Below we have applied the reinvorcement cloth and resin to the outer fuselage
skin where the main gear legs will pass thru.
Above , we have closed up the hole made when we removed the mono gear retract
lever and also closed up the slot where the center throttle lever was . We opened anohter slot a few inches to the left.
Here the gear legs & fittings are test fit and templets made for the
Now the first bulkheads have been epoxied to the gear leg fittings and peel
ply has been added during curing.
Peel-ply removed from the cured epoxy. Next bulkhead fabricated and fitted
Second bulkheads potted in with the epoxy adhesive .
Next comes another layer of epoxy resin and glass cloth.
Epoxy resin and glass cloth added and then peel ply on top of that.
The last of the bulkheads are fabricated and in place. Cloth & resin
applied and setting up with peel ply on top.
We continue to pick at the brake mod.
In the above picture , all that is left to do here is add the cap strips
of glass & resin to the bulkheads and install the gear legs.
Bulkeads are capped and the gear legs are installed, wheels & brakes
installed , brake lines plumbed and the system has been serviced.
Here is a look at the brake masters & levers and below is the parking
Zolatone paint to try and match the old interior paint.
Brake levers on the far right , throttle , flap switch and just forward of that is
the parking brake valve.
Replacement flap attach brackets where the outriggers were on the wings.
Wheel pant & fairing installations.
Flap attach fairings installed.
Looks pretty sharp sitting on three !
Finished Project !